Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The taste of your surroundings

I had an internship in New York this summer, right on Tenth Ave. I was there twice a week.
Walking to and from the bus terminal, I would fast-walk passed blocks of nifty shops and restaurants without turning my head. I was so focused on getting from Point A to Point B and back, without drawing too much attention to myself.

Yesterday one of my supervisors took me out to lunch.
He took me to this little shop on Ninth Ave called Better Being 940 that I had passed by every time I was in the city.
It was a tiny place with paper menus stacked on the counter and a chalkboard menu above. An iHome provided music for the shop.

As I was scanning the paper menu, I noticed that the food this place offered was nothing this Jersey girl had seen before.

Avocado toast, herbed turkey burger on an English Muffin, cabbage and scallion coleslaw...

And then there were the sandwiches! Taken from website..

The Massaman Joe: Thai Massaman Curry Turkey Sloppy Joe, Basil Peanut Gremoulata, Seeded Brioche 
The Djanger: Hangar Steak, Tomato Coulis, Brussels Sprouts, Caramelized Onion, Rosemary Horseradish Mayo, Onion Foccacia
The Squashbuckler: Squash, Manchego, Onions, Kale, Sourdough

I'm a boring lunchmeat girl who is used to turkey and cheese on wheat bread and throws mayo in when she is feeling daring. Coming from my three-ingredient sandwiches, it was a mouthful just reading about these sandwiches.

I ended up ordering the Nuyorican.
- Sofrito chicken
- Plantains
- Peppercorn mayo
- Avocado 
Held together in a tortilla wrap.


                                                                       Taken from website.

My God, it was the most delicious thing I have tasted in a while.

Being Spanish, I was loving the Sofrito chicken and plantains; they complimented each other in an interesting way.
Being me, I loved the avocado. I have a weird thing for avocado; If I'm out at a restaurant looking at the menu, my eyes are searching for the word "Avocado." Me likey.


If you find yourself in New York City, check out Better Being 940. Let your tastes buds do a lil experimenting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment