Wednesday, August 14, 2013

How I became a cat lady


I’ve always had dogs. Ever since I was born, there has been a dog in my life, as well fish, snakes, (so many) hamsters and newts, but mostly dogs.
When I went away to college, Jade, my black lab, , had been a part of the family for four years. As the days of my freshman year went by, I found myself missing her a lot, probably a little bit more than I missed my parents. I felt like there was a Jade-shaped hole in my heart that was aching to be filled again.

Even though I made friends in college and had roommates, I felt alone and couldn’t help but miss the company of a pet. This feeling grew immensely when I reached my junior year because my roommate and I were hardly ever home at the same time, leaving me to do homework alone in an empty apartment without the distraction of a cute furry face.

My roommate and I had both began having that “something is missing” feeling ever since moving into our new apartment. She was missing her cat and I was missing my dog. We discussed getting a pet for a few weeks, throwing ideas around to see which one stuck for both of us.
‘Cat’ was thrown around a few times but a cat never seemed like a practical pet seeing as how we were broke college students. Plus, I didn’t know cats. Hell, I had never even pet a cat before. What could a cat do for me? Could a cat fill my Jade-shaped hole? All I knew about cats was that they were mean, antisocial and unattached.
But somehow, my roommate convinced me and immediately took to the Internet to begin our search for our new pet. A week later, we were pulling up in the parking lot of a Target on a chilly September night to meet the owners of the cat that would soon become my most prized possession.

His owners had put an ad online for somewhere to take their 1-year-old cat, Mr. Fluffballs, because they were moving to a new place that didn’t allow cats.

He wouldn’t stop meowing as my roommate held him and cooed to him. She fell in love with him fast. Now it was I who needed convincing.

And to this day I don’t know why I said yes. There was nothing overwhelmingly adorable about this cat that made my heart turn into syrup. His eyes did not speak to me in a sweet little voice. He was just a cat that looked frightened to be outside and in the arms of a stranger.

I really don’t know what made me agree to take that cat home that very night. But something did, and, as sappy as it sounds, I’m so glad I did.

My cat, who we renamed Kevin, has changed my life and my opinion on cats entirely, to the point that I melt whenever I see a cat!
 
                                                                           He's a freak. <3
  
Super friendly and cuddly, Kevin gives me something to look forward to, something to sleep next to, something to randomly hug and kiss when he least expects it. Obsessed is an understatement.

Yep, I’m a cat lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment