Friday, August 23, 2013

NERDGASM: Books rule, eBooks drool.

I'm a technology cavewoman.

While everyone was scrolling 100 songs on their iPods, I was flicking through 50 songs on my Mp3 player.
While everyone was pulling up the Google browser on their smart phones, I was texting Cha-Cha and the Twitter Mobile number.
While everyone was plugging in their laptops, I was powering up my desktop PC.
Sad, but true.

I eventually caught up to everyone's techy trends, except for one.

eBooks.

I refuse.

I refuse to try and convince myself that a swipe of the finger on a smooth screen to go to the next the page is better than the lick-and-turn method. I refuse to curl up in bed with a nice Kindle. I refuse to open up a Nook on a fall afternoon. I refuse to pick up a device that I can read both a text message and learn the message of a literary text from.

When I read a book, I am transferred into another world. A world where I know new people and am a part of new situations. I am outside of myself. I can leave my worries and stress beh----BUZZZZZZZZZ.

Text message.

No.

And nothing beats the feeling of satisfaction I get from adding a read book to my book shelves. Horizon and vertical, short and tall, skinny and fat. The spins of my books tell stories from periods of my life. eBooks could never do that.

There is something wonderful about walking into a Barnes and Noble and browsing the aisles and aisles of shelves of books until a spine catches your eye. When you hold a both in your hands, you feel the weight of everything awaiting in between the front and back covers. Opening the cover, ceasing the page, folding the book. I would never give up that timeless (and unbreakable) magic for a device I have to charge at night.


Books build friendships and relationships. They create common ground for people who have read are reading the same book, or at least serve as an ice breaker for people who have differing opinions on a book. If you were reading your Nook in a coffee store, no one have any idea what you were reading. And if that was the case, Summer from 500 Days of Summer would have never met her husband!

                                             Ignore the terrible quality and skip to 3:35.



I don't want to make it seem like I'm against technological improvements- that's not the case at all.
I'm all for it! Make my cell phone smaller, make my laptop thinner but, please, don't mess with books.

Paper > Plastic and glass.

THANK YOU AND GOOD DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment